BBB Warning About South Carolina Credit Breach
October 29, 2012 – Myrtle Beach, SC
On October 26, 2012, the S.C. Department of Revenue announced that approximately 3.6 million Social Security numbers and 387,000 credit and debit card numbers have been exposed in a cyber attack. This affects anyone who has filed a South Carolina tax return since 1998.
The BBB of Coastal Carolina would like to inform consumers that it is VITAL that people take care of this ASAP – a lot of people who may have bad credit think it’s no big deal and they don’t need to worry about it – WRONG! Thieves can still assume their identity – perhaps get a license, commit crimes and get high interest loans etc., which the consumer will eventually have to “clean up”. Also, if anyone may have children that they have “claimed” on had their SS# on ANY tax forms they need to do the same for them as well.
Due to a high number of calls that the SC Dept of Revenue has been receiving, they have set up the following steps to take:
• Go to this website: ww.protectmyid.com/scdor
• This is the activation code: scdor123
• Consumer should then fill in their personal information
• If “accepted” they have created an account to monitor their credit (1 year or more for free)
• Consumer should THOUROUGHLY click through ALL tabs to make sure they recognize the items on their credit report – they are able to see this through this site
• IF they see anything suspicious on their credit report – they need to IMMEDIATELY contact ALL 3 credit bureaus and at minimum, place a temporary freeze on their credit
• If the consumer feels that their identity has been fully stolen – they need to go to www.ftc.gov
For consumers who do not have internet access, please call the SC Dept of Revenue at 1-866-578-5422. For more information, please visit http://www.sctax.org/security.htm
Kathy Graham is the President/CEO of the BBB of Coastal Carolina. She can be reached at 843-488-0238, or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The mission of the Better Business Bureau is to promote, through self-regulation, the highest standards of business ethics and conduct, and to instill confidence in responsible businesses through programs of education and action that inform, protect and assist the general public. Contact the BBB by phone at (843)488-2227, or http://myrtlebeach.bbb.org/ or email@example.com